Lice are very common in the hair, especially in children, since they spread quickly in places such as schools, nurseries, etc. If you want to know how to remove nits, read on and take note of some home remedies to be able to do it effectively.
Home remedies are perfect for hygiene, beauty, or cleaning, a large number of tricks that you can put into practice without the need to use chemical products that damage the skin, hair, nails, or the surface in question at all times.
Home treatments for lice
Anti-lice treatment with vinegar
- Boil white vinegar in enough quantity to cover all of your hair and allow it to cool slightly, to a temperature that can be tolerated on the head.
- Put the person with lice head down, for example kneeling in front of the bathtub or bending over the sink.
- Pour the vinegar all over the hair and scalp and then drain and wrap the entire mane with plastic wrap, tightly so that the action of the vinegar can kill the lice.
- Let it act for an hour and then remove the film and rinse the hair with plenty of water.
- Drain the hair and soak it in extra virgin olive oil, the same way you did with the vinegar at the beginning. This is a very important step as the oil’s sliding action will allow nits and lice to shed easily.
- Wrap the hair again with cling film and let the oil act for an hour.
- After that hour, remove the film and comb the hair with a fine metal comb, from the roots to the ends. It is essential that the comb be made of metal, since plastics are not effective at dragging nits.
- Once you have finished removing nits, wash the hair with the shampoo that you usually use.
Treatment with essential oils
- Mix one tablespoon of coconut vegetable oil and add two drops of tea tree essential oil and another two drops of eucalyptus essential oil.
- Apply the treatment to the edges of the scalp, always following the hairlines in the area of the ears, forehead, neck, and temples. This is very effective to avoid another infestation with lice or nit that may have been left there since the smell will scare you away.
Home remedies to remove nits
- Garlic: crush a head of garlic and mix it with half a liter of warm water. Apply the mixture on the head, massaging gently, and then wrap the head with a plastic cap or cling film. Let it work overnight and rinse in the morning.
- Eucalyptus leaves: boil several eucalyptus leaves, let them cool and apply to the hair, the infusion well distributed over the scalp and to the ends. Let it act for 30 minutes and rinse with plenty of water.
- Apple cider vinegar: ideal for dressing salads, it is also a very effective ingredient to fight lice. Mix vinegar and hot water in equal parts and apply to dry hair.
- Mayonnaise: mix mayonnaise and vinegar in equal parts and apply to the scalp, it is a very effective combination of ingredients to eliminate both lice and nits. Let it act for 30 minutes and rinse with plenty of warm or cold water. It also provides hydration and shine to the hair.